The perfect step between shared hosting and dedicated servers. Virtual dedicated servers are based on virtualization to split a single physical server into multiple virtual servers. The virtual dedicated server (VDS) is alternate to the Dedicated servers and it can used where there is need of less powerful dedicated server. Since the resources setup in such a way that each person can only use what is allocated to them.Each VDS has its own environment. Each VDS has its own file system, resources, and it acts like a real stand-alone dedicated server.
Some of the important features of Virtual dedicated server hosting are:
- Each virtual dedicated server (VDS) hosting is completely partitioned/insulated from one another. A crash or lock up on one Virtual dedicated server has no impact on other virtual servers.
- Each Virtual dedicated server hosting receives a specified allocation of CPU, memory, and disk. The virtual environment allows for bursting within limits, but does not permit one VDS from dominating the physical server’s resources. The result is that each VDS receives a guaranteed level of performance and service.
- Each VDS can be administered with total control of all settings using the powerful, yet easy to use control panel. Reboot feature and root access is also provided with each VDS hosting.
Virtual dedicated servers can be used in following cases:
- Reseller Hosting service.
- Custom application development & Hosting.
- Web based CRM and ERP.
- Small Email server.
- Network monitoring.
- Online Data storage.
- Application server.
- DNS server.
Advantages of VDS hosting :
- Root access gives you the ability to install and configure any programs you want. You can run PHP with PostgreSQL instead of MySQL and can also try Zope / Plone.
- You can host unlimited number of Websites through Apache’s Virtual Hosts.
- You can host other services, such as a mail server, an FTP server, or any type of servers you want.
- You can use the server for backup, file storage, or anything else.